Re: start_kdeinit

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:39:05AM +0200, Tapani Räikkönen wrote:
> Ronny Standtke kirjoitti:
> >I just updated a remastered Knoppix version (just 'apt-get update'd a lot
> >of things) and noticed that KDE did not start up anymore.
> >
> >After investigating the issue a bit deeper I found out that
> >"start_kdeinit", which is called in "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession" does
> >not work any longer. Unfortunately I do not have the resources to dig
> >deeper.
> >
> >The good news is that just replacing "start_kdeinit" with "kdeinit" fixes
> >the problem. I do not oversee all consequences by doing so, I am just
> >happy that my remastered version runs again...
> >
> >Maybe someone can explain the source of the problem and the consequences
> >of replacing "start_kdeinit" with "kdeinit"?
> >
> I faced the same problem while updating from KDE 3.5.7 to 3.5.8. If you
> look at /usr/bin/startkde, you notice that 'start_kdeinit' has changed
> to 'start_kdeinit_wrapper'. This is what I use in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file:
>
> LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit_wrapper --new-startup +kcminit_startup
> +kded +kdesktop || \
> { Xdialog --title startkde --msgbox "Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your
> installation." 0 0; return 1; }
>
> sleep 4
>
> I don't know why Mr. Knopper has added +kded and +kdesktop to
> 45xsession.

This was a workaround for circumventing an error in one of the first
KDE3 versions, where kded randomly quit with a segmentaion fault
occasionally, without any apparent reason. It may have been related to
problems with unionfs (when Knoppix was still using it), and disappeared
once we switched to aufs. But the workaround was left in 45xsession.

> I think they are not necessary and are not even in original
> 3.5.8 'startkde' script (perhaps has been in some version?).

Right, they should be removed, it's on my TODO list. Actually, maybe the
entire copy of startkde should be replaced by just calling startkde
itself.  Most of the workarounds and speedups in 45xsession may have
become unnecessary with newer KDE versions.