Re: Please, help Linus install Debian!

Le 24 Juillet 2007 15:23, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> Am Dienstag 24 Juli 2007 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> > So, it seems Linus  has the same problem as me(1): I'm sure he
> > could install Debian, but he just doesn't want to get through the
> > hassle.
>
> Hi Gilles,
>
> What hassle exactly?

Didn't you read the reference I gave:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2007/07/msg00000.html>
from: "I treid Etch, recently, and it was too many headaches."

And things most probably get worst as you install servers and all the
paraphernalia.

It's not that it's impossible to install, it's just that the user is
never taken into consideration. It just seems you need a part of of
inborn knowledge. It's not made with the tender loving that tender
loving care Shane Geiger refers to about Knoppix. It's still a distro
whose nonsense would get most newbies infuriated.

In terms of user-friendliness, a simple beginners distro such as
PCLinuxOS is light-years ahead of Debian. (Save for the partitioning
tool which is really crappy, though. Too bad they didn't use
GParted.) It seems those guys have checked how beginners manage to
install their distro. Debian certainly never tried this. Hence, all
the nonsense.

My point, and Linus' point, apparently, is that distros must be
user-friendly. If you don't want the help of all the tools provided,
you can still do everything by hand, but the point of putting out a
distro should be to make it most usable.

That's all. Otherwise, yes, you can "manage" to install Debian.