Re: Please, help Linus install Debian!

Am Dienstag 24 Juli 2007 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:

> So, it seems Linus  has the same problem as me(1): I'm sure he could
> install Debian, but he just doesn't want to get through the hassle.

Hi Gilles,

What hassle exactly? The last time I tried the Debian Etch installer it
was not really more hassle than inserting the Debian installer CD and
hitting "Enter" all the time. While I still had the flexibility to do
several installations with SoftRAID and LVM without touching a command
line recently.

Of course, the amount of preconfiguration may differ, but I take that as
an advantage at times. Actually I did not agree what to what OpenSUSE for
example did to the KDE start menu. Granted, the original one isn't a
usability pioneer either, but IMHO thats no reason to make it worse than
that. So I rather wait for a well thought out replacement for it in KDE
4.

And actually in the interview Linus wrote about "easy to install *and*
upgrade" (bold added by me). And when a distribution is easy to upgrade
its Debian. Thats actually why I do not install it that often ;-).

I think that Linus may not even have *tried* installing Debian and thus
only talks about hearsay. So I don't take his oppinion that seriously. If
he did try to install Debian and found concrete issues that would be a
different case.

Regards,