Re: runnIng Knoppix on Windows via qemu? (was:Touring the EU with Knoppix sans laptop)

This is the way I booted an ISO under qemu on Linux. I assume it still works (change the path accordingly for Windows).

qemu -m 128 -cdrom /temp/knoppix-custom.iso -boot d -user-net

t.maiden@att.net wrote:
You will probably need Administrator status on a Windows machine but not necessarily the one you are wanting to run Qemu and Knoppix on at any particular moment. Download the latest Qemu (its 0.9.0 right now) to the desktop of your PC. Assuming you are the Administrator of your own home PC, insert your flash drive and when the system identifys it as being online, click on the Qemu install icon. After you agree to the terms and conditions it will ask you where you want Qemu installed. Override the suggested default location with the name of the flash drive (on my PC its either E: or F:) and let the install go. It will write a few small files onto your C: drive anyway and maybe put a entry in the registry but all the useful files will go onto the flash drive. You then need to write a one line Batch file that starts Qemu and loads the Linux OS and starts it up. Running a Live Linux CD is a snap but you have to be aware that Knoppix will run VERY slowly due to the decompression of the software on the CD. A better bet would be to select a small footprint Knoppix remaster such as Damn Small, Feather or even Morphix LightGUI. Damn Small has just released a new version, level 3.3 which is really nice. It has the latest version of Firefox and also Dillo Patched if you don't need full graphical presentations. To run plug in the flash drive, put the CD in its drive, click on the batch file and enjoy the show as Qemu creates its guest system, loads and runs your selected Linux. I have done this regularly on the deliberately "crippled" Windows machines at the local community college and the public libraries.

    -------------- Original message from Robert Citek
    <robert.citek@gmail.com>: --------------

    > Joel Merrick wrote:
    > > If it's not been mentioned in the rest of this thread, you
    could also
    > > circumvent the need for rebooting by having windows qemu on
    the USB drive..

    > I'm no Windows guru, so I'm curious to know how one might do
    that. From
    > what I've read after a quick Google search is that qemu must be
    > installed on Windows, which requires administrator (i.e. root)
    access on

    listmaster@lists.debian.org

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy

begin:vcard
fn:Shane Geiger
n:Geiger;Shane
org:National Council on Economic Education (NCEE)
adr:Suite 215;;201 N. 8th Street;Lincoln;NE;68508;United States
email;internet:sgeiger@ncee.net
title:IT Director
tel;work:402-438-8958
x-mozilla-html:FALSE