Re: Touring the EU with Knoppix sans laptop

Stephen Samuel wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Robert Citek <robert.citek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, yes.  Good idea.  IIRC, I could also transfer the image to the
>> Windows partition on the harddrive, although I'd rather leave the
>> computer untouched.
>
> Stomping on the HD isn't likely to engender the local admin to
> Knoppix users. You don't want a bad reputation going ahead of you.

Nor spoil it for others.  I'll stick to the CD + USB stick.

>> Agreed.  In fact, because of those cheatcodes changes, I've
>> remastered Knoppix to use grub instead of isolinux.  That way I can
>>  modify cheatcodes on the fly.
>
> Do you have a pointer to the descriptor for doing that?

I don't.  That is, I couldn't find my notes.  I did find my notes for
"remastering" with only modifying the "boot files":

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Trivial_remaster_3.8.2#A_.22modified_boot_files.22_version

IIRC, there were two main changes for booting with grub:

1 - create a /boot/grub/menu.lst file (similar to isolinux.cfg)
2 - specify grub instead of isolinux for the bootloader when building
the image

If I find my notes I'll post them.

> (note, that it's pretty easy to modify the isolinux parameters
> without having to do a full remaster) (
> http://www.bcgreen.com/knoppix/ )

Yup.  See above link.  What's nice about grub is that you can edit the
parameters at boot time.

Regards,
- Robert