Re: Touring the EU with Knoppix sans laptop

Stephen Samuel wrote:
> Some cafes will allow you to boot from CD, others won't. At a bet, you'll
> probably have more luck with the smaller cafes that are less likely to have
> a professional admin.

Do you or anyone else have recommendations for cafes?  Again, the cities
will be Amsterdam, NL; Cologne, DE; Lucerne, CH; and Zurich, CH.

I'm thinking maybe in addition to cafes that hostels might have net
access.  Any other locales with networked computers?

> If you have a problem booting, try a couple of different machine (they may
> have missed one) and/or ask for help.  Let them know what you're doing and
> why They might be willing to give you a break.

Will do.  Can't hurt to ask.  At worse they say "no" (or the local
language equivalent) and I'm off on an adventure for one that says "yes."

> Also: bring a couple of spare CDs/DVDs with you.  Two reasons:
>  1) in case your prime gets damaged, and
>  2) so you have a couple to give away ( :-} )

Yes, I plan to do exactly that.

> Although not everybody is going to have a DVD reader, it's nice to have the
> extra software at places that do.
>
> If you take a small USB hard drive, you'll have the space to put a full
> DVD.
> You can then boot from a minimal CD and still have all the software you can
> think of.  You can set the CD to automatically boot from the USB drive
> (adding 'fromhd=/dev/sda1' to   /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg)

Ah, yes.  Good idea.  IIRC, I could also transfer the image to the
Windows partition on the harddrive, although I'd rather leave the
computer untouched.

> (You can do similar work with a 1-2GB drive and a CD image. 5.0 should work
> on a 4GB stick. I'm not sure about 5.1.1, but 5.2 is noticeably  over 4GB)
>
> The advantage to doing things that way is that you then have normal use of
> the CD/DVD player, and it's generally a lot faster.

Yes.  All I really need is a browser and ssh, but having OpenOffice.org
is nice, too.  I'm actually thinking I'll take a laptop drive and this
USB2-IDE adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I0VIYE/

That'll convert an old laptop drive into a thumb drive for ~$10.

So, on the USB key, I'll have an uncompressed ISO (for booting), an ISO
(for making more CDs), and a persistent disk image (for my
customizations.)  And on the laptop drive, I'll do the same but using
the DVD, depending on how large a laptop drive I can scrape up.  60 GB
would be nice.  :)

> I also add 'xdepth=24', to isolinux.cfg since it's hard to find a machine,
> these days, that doesn't have 24bit color capability.

Agreed.  In fact, because of those cheatcodes changes, I've remastered
Knoppix to use grub instead of isolinux.  That way I can modify
cheatcodes on the fly.

Regards,
- Robert