Re: Accelerated graphic card with free Driver

On 2007/03/21 19:56 (GMT+0100) Achim Unger apparently typed:

> I need to buy a new graphic card (PCI Express) for a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 motherboard. (It supports LinuxBIOS) Is there a card out there that supports accelerated X with Knoppix and is still available (in Germany).

Need to? Or is it more fair to say want to? Commonly available (used) 10-13
year old PCI graphics cards typically work just fine in new motherboards
that have ordinary PCI slots, just as long as you're not wedded to some need
for 3D for games, or use a widescreen display that some old cards don't
understand.

> Nvidia Cards are supported, but the drivers are not free and not in KNOPPIX. I would prefer a FREE driver.

Most ancient PCI cards work with included generic drivers on standard 4:3
displays.
--
"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but to save the world through him."	John 3:17 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409