sd_mod not loaded (after Knoppix 5.0.1 remastering)

Hi all!

I try to figure out what has changed after remastering Knoppix 5.0.1, because my usb stick is NOT automatically detected as in original Knoppix.

Dmesg show that kernel detects my usb stick fine but /proc/partitions don't show /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. Anyhow after 'modprobe sd_mod' they are in /proc/partitions. Still I have to run 'rebuildfstab' to update /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt 0 0

So there is those two things to do before I can mount my usb stick simple by 'mount /dev/sda1', as in original Knoppix. And there is no sda1 icon added to KDE's desktop rather in my remastered Knoppix :(

I think that this must be very simple thing to correct, but it's hebrew to me. I have modified linuxrc and knoppix-autoconfig a lot - so I would like to know which things are essential for usb detecting. Anyhow my usb mouse works fine and sata hard disks are detected correctly.

So I need to know at least these things:
1. How is 'modprobe sd_mod' run automatically in original Knoppix?
2. What invokes rebuildfstab after adding scsi device?
3. How are icons added and removed automatically from KDE desktop (e.g. if usb stick or camera is added and then removed)?

My kernel is beyond4 patched vanilla kernel (http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html) but I don't think this to be a kernel problem.

Any help is appreciated, and good advices would help not only me but also others who likes to remaster superior Knoppix :)

Best regards
Tapani Räikkönen
from Finland - the origin of Linux ;-)