From: Klaus Knopper [mailto:debian-knoppix@knopper.net]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 1:16 PM
To: Christopher Mc Carthy
Cc: debian-knoppix@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Auto detecting FireWire Drives and Knoppix 5.1

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:06:31PM +0200, Christopher Mc Carthy wrote:
> I've got a problem with 5.01 (CD) and my firewire external drive, and
> wondered if this could be fixed for the Knoppix 5.1 (whenever that my
> be, although Klaus did mention it in passing on 2006-09-12.) and/or
what
> I could do now.
>
> With Knoppix 4.02, my firewire drive is correctly loaded, and desktop
> icons appear.
> With Knoppix 5.01, recognition takes place and then there's an error -
> from dmesg: ohci1394: fw-host0: SelfID received, but NodeID invalid
> (probably new bus reset occurred): 0000FFC0
>
> Two text files are attached - one for 4.02 and the other for 5.01.
Both
> contain the results of dmesg, lspci and fdisk.

Thanks for the files, I don't see any obvious reason for the failure
yet, but still think that it may be a kernel problem.

Since ACPI and (L)APIC seem to be handled the same way, it could be a
bug in the ohci1394 module iself. Do you know if your firewire port
works with other linux distributions using the same kernel?

The boot option

knoppix acpi=force

for forcing interrupt detection & handling via ACPI could maybe be worth
a try.