Re: Auto detecting FireWire Drives and Knoppix 5.1

On Oct 2, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:06:31PM +0200, Christopher Mc Carthy wrote:
I've got a problem with 5.01 (CD) and my firewire external drive, and
wondered if this could be fixed for the Knoppix 5.1 (whenever that my
be, although Klaus did mention it in passing on 2006-09-12.) and/ or what
I could do now.

Thanks for the files, I don't see any obvious reason for the failure
yet, but still think that it may be a kernel problem.

Like Christopher, we also have had issues with v5.01 CD recognizing firewire drives. At bworks.org, we use external firewire connections to quickly clone disks: connect IDE drive to FW enclosure, turn on FW enclosure, clone using dd, turn off FW enclosure, remove drive, repeat. This process works very well under v4.02, but does not work well enough under v5.01. Since it works great under v4.02, we haven't spent much (read any) time troubleshooting. But when we get a chance, we could.

What information would be helpful? For example, I could boot with "knoppix 2", run this script, and send the contents of output.txt:

dmesg -c
# insert drive
( set -x
dmesg