Grub boot of on-disk DVD image and netboot via grub/isolinux

I've got documentaion up of how to netboot via
either grub or isolinux.
You can find it at http://www.bcgreen.com/knoppix/booting .

Pretty much, it's just a case of figuring out what to put where.

To netboot, I simply put images of the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz
in the isolinux directory (for a CD boot) or the /boot directory
(for grub) and pointed grub/isolinux at the files with appropriate
parameters.

For grub, it was simply a case of figuring out how to use the
already existing pieces from the DVD image.

I also have knoppix.sh scripts that will mount a unique knoppix home directory via NFS based on a machine's IP address (nice for classrooms), if anybody would
like to see that.

Once unionfs interactions with NFS are a bit more stable, I'd like to look at
mounting an NFS directory as the top layer for UNIONFS.  -- the hope being
that you could then have a classroom of knoppix machines booted off of the
net but with persistant (yet centralized) root images.

That way, if a student hoops his config, I could just erase his NFS-root directory,
and he'd be back to scratch.

Has anybody else tried this?

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)450-0066             samnospam@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/

DEFAULT vmlinuz
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND nfsdir=192.168.2.40:/cdrom nodhcp lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix  initrd=miniroot.gz
TIMEOUT 300
PROMPT 1
DISPLAY boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
F3 f3
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND nfsdir=192.168.2.40:/cdrom nodhcp lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix  initrd=miniroot.gz tz=Canada/Pacific
LABEL net
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND nfsdir=192.168.2.40:/cdrom nodhcp lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix  initrd=miniroot.gz tz=Canada/Pacific
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,4)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=20
# splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title knoppix dvd image on /dev/hda1
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet  BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 tz=Canada/Pacific nodhcp
        initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

# netboot
# vmlinuz is taken from /tftpboot and generated by knoppix-terminalserver  same with miniroot.gz
title netboot
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz nfsdir=nfsdir=192.168.2.40:/cdrom ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet  BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix lang=us tz=Canada/Pacific  nodhcp
        initrd /boot/miniroot.gz

title freebsd
	root (hd1,1,a)
	kernel /boot/loader

title Fedora Core (2.6.13-1.1526_FC4)
	root (hd0,1)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/40 rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.img

title DOS
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1