knoppix-installer -> slow system

I ran knoppix-installer with the default debian option on a K6/2 550 VIA
MVP4 system that seemed to run just fine off the 4.0.2 CD, but things
aren't so great running off the HD. The first time I let it run any
length of time it ground to a halt with out of memory, 256M real, and
384M virtual. During boot it seems like it loads every module for every
device ever made. /etc/modules is 601 bytes. /etc/modules.conf is 15,384
bytes. both more than double the size of the same files on the same
system's etch partition. How do I trim these files down and speed up
this system? Also, how do I set portmap to automatically start in
runlevel 2+ (chkconfig in rpm systems makes this easy)?
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/