Re: Knoppix 5.1 Mini-Announcement

For certain people, like me, knoppix is of use as a
pivot_root install, in an portable hd with all one's
data. That allows me using a pc at the various
scientific institutions that I visit, both near and
far away, as much away as in the South Seas.

When in my office, I don't see any reason for not
installing debian etch. The last installer RC1 for
i386 gives you an X system without nvidia drivers
that, with the addition of free libmotif, allows
openGL and anything needed on a pc for scientific use.
The guy, gnome, is the best i ever saw.

In both cases you have debian, or nearly so. I am not
prepared to make use of a software()free, in the sense
of freedom, I am not referring to money) for which
there are better alternatives.

That means that I'll stay at 5.0.1 if other versions
of knoppix do not allow reliable pivot_root install.

Thanks Klaus for your excellent software.

Cheers
francesco pietra