Re: Simple fix to /usr/sbin/sambastart

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 03:17:46PM +0000, keith hodges wrote:
> 1. In 5.0.1 there is an error in sambastart, it is greping /etc/fstab
> for /mnt in order to obtain a list of disks to share. I think that this
> should now be /media

Thanks, already fixed for 5.1. :-)

> 2. I would like to request that there be a standard place in my
> knoppix.img disk image in which to place a knoppix.sh startup script. I
> need this in order to automate the loading of my (ageing) network card
> module. Questions to this list as to how to achieve this have not
> received any answers so I am still fairly clueless.

I would suggest that the "standard" place should be the root of
knoppix.img, i.e. /KNOPPIX.IMG/knoppix.sh. I will add that to
the knoppix-image script, it's a missing feature.

On the other hand, since knoppix.img is mounted in knoppix-autoconfig,
you could as well just use an init script in /etc/rc5.d/ that will be
executed after the image was mounted. So, maybe /KNOPPIX.IMG/knoppix.sh
is no really necessary.

> Just to let you know that I use knoppix as my main working environment.
> I use the dvd iso on a hard disk partition with the bootfrom option.
>
> It would be nice to have the option to be able to specify a
> partition/usb stick as the home directories area, rather than the img
> file. This could be picked up automatically like a swap partition is.

Difficult, how would you distinguish between, for example, a
harddisk-installation of Knoppix, or a USB disk with a to-go image?
his could be risky. You don't want to overwrite non-knoppix partitions
accidentially. Maybe it could work if you say knoppix home=/dev/sda1
at the boot prompt.