Re: Qemu run on 5.01

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 22:05, Martin Oehler wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:40:10PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 June 2006 21:15, Martin Oehler wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:57:32PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> >
> > I stopped it after several minutes. Maybe it would go on. 3.3, 3.4 worked
> > fine. KDE would not come up in a qemu session but I could use other WMs.
> > Dynebolic using less ambitious WM works very nicely in qemu.
>
> You may speed up the boot process with
>
>   knoppix noudev
>
> but some functionality will be missing. :-/ But it should be good enough
> for a test whether it boots at all. udev can be startet after the boot
> manually, if you need it.
>
> Does it boot?
USB managed by udev (as before)
Firewire managed by udev (as before, but ... there is none!)
Skipping udev as requested ...
Autoconfiguring devices ==========================================...
WARNING: Autodetection seems to hang.
Please check your computers BIOS settings
(NOTE this is a qemu session so this is not for real!)
AGP bridge detected
Video is yet unkown card (as expected),using Xorg VESA server
Monitor is Genetic Monitor ....
Using modes 10024x768 800x600 64ox480
Scanning for hardsdisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab
etc.....
starting single xwindow session, etc...
At this point, trying to start KDE. I do not expect this to work, got the grey
screen and then the  artwork! That's it. I am running the qemu with 384k but
from past experience, KDE will not load. Finally get the KDE startup splash.
With 3.4, I had started a root console, created a user, started X with a login
screen and ran less ambitious window managers just fine. Kept a /home/user on
an image file. Would want to use the persistant image now.

How might I do this (from boot menu or from console) ?