Re: Knoppix 5.0.1 kernel include header files do not match running kernel ?

Hi Gilles,

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:21:49AM -0700, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
> --- Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 07:53:16PM -0700, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am trying to create a vm (VMware virtual machine) with Knoppix
> > 5.0.1.
> > > In order to get better performances, I need to install the vm tools
> > > which
> > > require the kernel include header files to compile a new kernel
> > module.
> > > When running the vmware guest tools install I get thi error
> > message:
> > > "The Kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have
> > > the same address space size as your running kernel"
> > > [/usr/src/linux/include]
> > > Does this mean that the Knoppix 5.0.1 kernel include
> > > header files do not match running kernel ?
> >
> > The kernel includes that are present on both, the 5.0.1 DVD and CD,
> > match the kernel that's installed and running on Knoppix. Could it be
> > that you used a different compiler than the one on Knoppix, for
> > compiling? That's about the only reason I could think of that could
> > cause this error message.
> >
> > On the DVD, the full kernel source is included in /usr/src/, on the
> > CD
> > there are only the headers.
> >
> > Regards
> > -Klaus Knopper
>
> Hi Klaus,
> I have the same problem with both the CD & DVD.
> I am using the exact same procedure which is working just fine on 4.02.
> I first create a vm booting from a virtual DVD device mapped to the
> ISO.
> Once running knoppix in the vm, I run the vmware-install.pl script
> which is calling the Knoppix gcc and I get the above error message.
> Finally (at least with 4.02) I save in a knoppix.img all the changes
> required to have the vm tools installed and running at boot time.
> Why this would work on Knoppix 4.02 and not 5.01
> and why with such a kernel missmatch error ?

Please check that you are using the right C-Compiler. The "default" gcc
may not be the one used for kernel compilation. Check with "modinfo",
your own modules as well as the ones that are already compiled.

Again, I'm 100% sure that you have the right kernel sources and config
in /usr/src/ in the Knoppix image, because I used these to compile the
kernel. Maybe, the vmware-install.pl script is not aware of kernels past
2.6.16 yet, and forgets to add essential information for creating
modules?

Kernel and some modules are stored in the uncompressed CD/DVD part,
/boot/isolinux/ for the Kernel and /KNOPPIX/modules for modules that are
needed at boot time after the CD/DVD is mounted (i.e. cloop and
unionfs). Note that this last part has changed, it is an additional
feature that you can now store modules directly on the DVD without
changing the initrd. Makes testing of new modules easier.

> Thank you for your response.
> Best Regards,
> Gilles van Ruymbeke
>
> FYI, the Vmware player and Vmware server (beta) versions are now free.

Excuse me for being fussy, but, they are NOT "free". Nothing against
your motivation to add new and exciting stuff to Knoppix. ;-)

Please read http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/player.html :

 "LICENSE
 The Software is licensed, not sold. Subject to the terms and
 limitations of this EULA, VMware hereby grants you a nonexclusive,
 nontransferable license, without rights to sublicense, to (i) use the
 Software (in object code form only) solely for your own internal
 information processing services and computing needs; (ii) modify the
 Software skins as permitted by VMware for your own use; and (iii) use
 the documentation accompanying the Software in connection with
 permitted uses of the Software. Subject to the above, each copy of the
 Software may not be used by any other person, whether or not such
 person is employed by or otherwise associated with your entity.

 LICENSE LIMITATIONS You may not copy the Software except for a
 reasonable number of machine-readable copies of the Software for backup
 or archival purposes and except as expressly permitted in the License
 section above. You may not share or use concurrently the Software." ...

You can hardly call that "free". Or, maybe you mean the "VMware Player
Distribution Agreement"
http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/player_distribution.html, which
states:

 "2. Reproduction and Distribution License.

  2.1 Subject to the terms of this Agreement, VMware grants you a
  non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide, royalty-free license to
  reproduce and distribute the Software as set forth below:

  2.1.1 You must obtain VMware's prior written consent for each
  application that you intend to bundle or distribute with the Software."

I won't do that either. Forthermore, it would put an additional burden
to everybody remastering Knoppix and creating derivates, namely, either
removing the player or obtain a "written consent" from VMware.

I know that qemu is really slow compared to VMware (even if we would use
the proprietary kqemu kernel accellerator), but its license is
acceptable for me, whereas vmwares license is not. So, we added a qemu
version built with only free software components to the DVD version,
which means that windws users can now boot Knoppix within Windown to get
an impression of how it should run when booted from DVD (just at least
four times as fast).