Re: ????: Re: Knoppix 6 ?

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:45:08AM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> * Manolis Mathioudakis <manmathiou@yahoo.gr> [060530 21:38]:
>
> >   Also there will be an official debian live cd out soon. What do you think about that?
> >   Why couldn't they just use knoppix instead?
>
> Talked the other day with one of the debian live guys.  And basically he
> says, that there are three fundamental differences:
> 1. compressed image type:  Knopix used cloop, d-l squashfs+unionfs.

Knoppix uses unionfs, too, and cloop should compile on other platforms
as well.

> 2. Hardware detection:  Knoppix uses kudzu, d-l discover2 (to share
>    work with the debian-installer people)

Is this a fundamental problem? Knoppix uses kudzu/hwsetup for getting
the system up and running.  A harddisk-installer can use something
different.

> 3. Installation: Knoppix has the knoppix-hd installer, d-l want
>    something debian-installer (or even better: with the graphical
>    installer) based to reuse and share as much work as possible.

Yes, PLEASE make a debian-installer that really works well, and I'm
happily discarding the evil hack that is the current
"knoppix-installer"!

Maybe Ubuntu has one...

> And since they are interested in porting debian live to more
> architectures than i386, there isn't much in common (but the package
> selection perhaps).

So far, IMHO these are no big obstacles in using Knoppix as Debian live
installer, but I'm not trying to talk anyone into something. ;-)