Re: Persistent home and XFCE4

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:29:41AM +0200, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm remastering a Knoppix live-cd, called Artouste
> (http://www.univ-pau.fr/Artouste), for the university of Pau, France.
> The goal is to give many sets of software (ie office, internet,
> scientific, economic,...) to students and researchers. So, they can work
> in the same environment as the university servers (XFCE4) . After a
> first success, I'm in charge of a second version with more technical
> features (wifi,dsl,printing,...) and more softwares (DVD).
>
> I meet the same problem with original or remastered knoppix 4.0.2CD and
> Knoppix 5.0DVD :
> I start the boot with
> knoppix lang=fr desktop=xfce4
> Once started, I customize XFCE4 environment and create a persistent home
> (100Mo) on a USB stick.
> When rebooting, I start with
> knoppix lang=fr desktop=xfce4 home=scan
> The knoppix.img is found and I choose to mount it with default options.
> When the X server is configured and the desktop (correctly) displayed,
> the system shuts down immediatly.

It means that the X-Server just terminated without an error in runlevel
5, which causes a normal shutdown at the end of xsession. That means
that either your desktop session manager just ended (causing the
X-Server to terminate as well), or the X-Server was terminated
abnormally but without an error return code. You should, for debugging
purposes, just disable the shutdown in /etc/init.d/xsession, and look
for errors in your .xsession-errors when the crash happens.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper