Re: Knoppix 4.02CD usb-storage hotplug problem/bug

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 04:07:06AM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:

> I am trying to fix/workaround a bug in knoppix 4.02CD.
>
> I plug a usb-storage device, it gets added to the desktop as
> /dev/sda1.  I mount it to /mount/data.  I plug a second usb-storage
> device.  It gets added to the desktop as /dev/sdb1, but /dev/sda1
> moves to /dev/sdc1.  I now have /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1, but the
> /mount/data still points to /dev/sda1 which doesn't exist anymore.
> The problem seems to be in /sbin/hotplug-knoppix which does some
> hard-to-understand contortions.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?

I _think_ it's solved in Knoppix 5.0 because of udev calling the removal
script as soon as devices are being unplugged.

I had found no reliable way to do this with hotplug, in Knoppix
<= 4.0.2.

There should, however, be no reason why /dev/sda1 would suddenly "move"
to /dev/sdc1 in the old versions.