Re: knoppix 4.02 upgrade

I think part of what is really ugly about upgrading a HD-installed
knoppix is that knoppix pulls packages from Debian's stable, testing,
and unstable package repositories. The whole idea of creating a "stable"
version of Debian is that all the packages have been tested with
eachother so that they are known to work. By trying to keep the same
/etc/apt/sources.list that comes with Knoppix, you are inviting disaster.

If you really want to try to upgrade it a knoppix install, you can do
it. Try doing so on a fresh install, expecting that you will break
something that you might have to fix. Here is how I would recommend
going about it:

sudo apt-get install base-config
sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list-backup
sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-setup

The "apt-setup" program which will write new lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list for you. Then, to upgrade stable/sarge to testing:

sudo perl -pi~ -ne 's/(stable|sarge)/testing/g' /etc/apt/sources.list &&
sudo apt-get update

At this point, on a Debian system, I might try dist-upgrade at this
point. However, that's always riskier than doing "apt-get install
<package>" to install only those packages that you have to
install/upgrade. That is especially true for Knoppix. So, don't do
apt-get dist-upgrade.

Knoppix is a wonderful tool. It has limitations, though. I wish there
were a Debian LiveCD project or that Knoppix were more Debian-like.

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy