Problem with a Laserjet 1012 and Knoppix from 3.8.1

I printed with Knoppix 3.7 a few times and never experienced any
problem whatsoever. Recently. I tried to print with versions 3.8.1,
3.8.2 and 3.9 and all failed. It seems the printer is not recognized.
See:

<http://www.enter-net.com/~gpelleti/misc/knx/hp_3.9_scr0.png>

versus

<http://www.enter-net.com/~gpelleti/misc/knx/hp_3.7_scr0.png>

Notice there is no entry under USB Printer #1 for Laserjet 1012 for
version 3.9

and check backend in:

http://www.enter-net.com/~gpelleti/misc/knx/hp_3.9_scr1.png

versus

<http://www.enter-net.com/~gpelleti/misc/knx/hp_3.7_scr1.png>

Has anybody experienced the same problem with Knoppix from 3.8.1  *and
the same printer*? I'm very surprised nobody reported this problem
yet.

Of course, I followed exactly the same setup procedure with 3.7 and
3.9. The configuration of 3.9 has even been done without shutting off
either the printer or the computer.

Regards!

GP