how to remaster knoppix 3.8.1

What is the prescribed method to remaster knoppix
3.8.1?

Won't there be a vastly SIMPLIFED remastering method
for knoppix 3.8+, made possible by UNIONFS?

I jumped through hoops to remaster 3.4, BUT with
UNIONFS, and tools from (or similar to) those at
linux-live.org, why can't we expect a simple
remastering method that won't even require a harddrive
installation?

I envision being able to boot off a liveCD,
add/update/remove packages with apt-get, then generate
a compressed filesystem and ISO directly to a SAMBA
share (or to RAM if you have enough).  What could be
easier?

Currently I don't have enough RAM to try the
linux-live scripts and they don't write to SAMBA
yet...

Thoughts or advice anybody?