Re: [debian-knoppix] DEC 21041 Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel V2.6.x

On 30 Mar 2005, at 9:14, Klaus Knopper wrote:

> knoppix(26) pci=bios pci=irqmask=0x0e98

This is ONLY an issue with kernel 2.6.11 on V3.8 CeBIT or kernel 2.6.x on
3.7 PC Welt or V3.4

Under kernel 2.4.x under V3.7 PC Welt or any other version it works just
fine.

SAME thing.

Hard lock up at "Network device......"

with nodhcp boots, but attempting to use netcardconfig, hard lock up at

ifconfig...... up

This occurs on any version of Knoppix using kernel 2.6.x

All versions of Knoppix booted under kernel 2.4.x is FINE.

> I still think that it is more of a hardware problem if you get this kind
> of lock up.

> Just for me again: Is tulip the correct driver for this card, instead of
> de4x5?

The HD in the FIC 2007 has a V3.1 or so Knoppix on it now, and uses the
"tulip" driver for the card right now working fine.

Under Knoppix V3.7 kernel 2.4.x  I see dmesg is showing it using the
de4x5 driver now.  This operates fine.

So something between kernel 2.4.x and kernel 2.6.x and this de4x5 driver
has changed.

If there is some way I can force the CD to use the tulip driver or change it
after it boots I can try that, but I tried removing the de4x5 driver and it
deletes the eth0 interface and nothing will let me put it back and put a
module in for it in the live CD enviroment.

Thanks in advance.