DEC 21041 Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel V2.6.x

From:           	Self <scanning@wpascanner.com>
To:             	knoppix@yahoogroups.com
Subject:        	DEC Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel
V2.6.x
Date sent:      	Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:46:39 -0500

Since the 2.6 kernel has been included in Knoppix the same
problem over
and
over has been a problem, LAN card.

The problem is the de4x5 driver and 21041 based DLink 503+
cards. Under
2.4.x kernels works great using the tulip driver. Kernel 2.6 seems
to want
to use
the de4x5 in place of the tulip one for some reason.

I've tried modprobe tulip and then netcardconfig same results
HARD LOCK
UP. Require a reset.

So I removed the de4x5 driver via modprobe -r de4x5 then did a
modprobe
tulip and tried to do both a netcardconfig and ifconfig manually.

Both result in an error about no such interface and a simple ifconifg
shows only
the lo interface.

What is the correct way to get this de4x5 driver removed, the
correct
tulip one
installed WITHOUT loosing the eth0 interface so I can get
networking
working
on 2 PC's.

Any way to do this with out remastering with changes to
modules.conf and
the
alias list for eth0

Looking for soltuions to get the LIVE CD working, then to do a HD
install
from
a working enviroment.

Any way to get this updated in the CD so that other tulip based
users can
get the
correct driver installed for future releases.

Comments & suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.