No space left on device (for /etc)

Can someone please confirm or deny my assumptions: I
deduce that /etc is mounted on a ramdisk separate from
the /ramdisk partition where /var and /home resides?

Are all the softlinks (that point to /KNOPPIX) part of
the "experiments in overlay filesystem" that was
introduced in knoppix 3.4?

The reason I ask is I am trying to copy some perl
libraries into /etc, but apparently have less than 2
MB of space, even though free space on /home is far
greater.

thanks!