Re: [debian-knoppix] Is knoppix getting behind?

Hello Mark,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 05:59:53PM -0800, mark everton wrote:

> --- Klaus Knopper <knopper@linuxtag.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Seems that I am not the only one who things are
> getting behind :)
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20050214#1

Well, in the article, it says something in effect of stability as reason why
Knoppix does not include too many experimental features. ;-)

> I can really understand you have to work on other
> things too. Knoppix is more than a distro though, it
> 's a platform.
> So hwdection is vital. I hope 3.8 will have an update
> on this.

What exactly is missing in the hardware detection, i.e. do you have some
pcitable lines ready for me that are not already in the standard edition?

> I don't know what the security problems are with
> 2.6.10

Local root exploits, buffer/integer overflows, stuff like that...

> , the only thing that annoyes me is that cd
> burning is not possible. And 2.6.11 is not getting any
> better on this.  (Kanotix has fixed that btw)

Exactly what is the problem with burning CDs with Kernel 2.6.10/11? I'm using
this kernel fpr burning with cdrecors all the time. Maybe you missed the
scsi emulation option?

> Klaus did you ever consider getting help from other
> ppl on secondery things like .debs uploading, testing,
> cvs, etc ?. I know many would offer to help.

Yes, but organizing and managing people is even more complicated than managing
software. :-/