iso booting without cloop

Hi again :-)

I'm interested in seeing booting from iso working in Knoppix.   I was working
on a patch to linuxrc to use a fromiso cheatcode to determine if it should
search as it does now for KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX or instead for KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.ISO
(and then check inside it for the cloop) and loop mount it as /cdrom.  This
would also have needed at least the loop module added to the minirt.

Then I came across a thread on the Knoppix forum where people had come up with
a solution for booting knoppix from a downloaded iso on an ntfs drive (it
needed a modified minirt and a bootloader that was up to it) and tried it
out.   Now I've documented how I took the instructions and applied them to
3.7.   You can see that at:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14680

So could this be included in the main release or should/would a less intrusive
version that supports booting from iso without a cloop be better or is the
whole idea flawed or a non-starter is some way (i.e. Klaus doesn't want to go
adding any more modules into the minirt).

The current method won't (I don't think) allow you to scan for the iso,
presuming the basic idea is a runner in some way I can try and rework the
linuxrc patch to do this.

If nothing else this method could shorten the cheatcodes file by removing the
comments about needing a cloop and bootfrom on ntfs.

Niall Walsh