Re: [debian-knoppix] configuring the network under knoppix

Hi Joris,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:55:30 +0200, Joris Huizer wrote:

> So I tried knoppix, and, appart from not being able to write to the
> screen during loading/shutting down, it worked - everything except for
> the netwerk. I use an adsl modem of which I know it's usable in knoppix:
> on my own computer I use the same adsl modem;

I don't know anything about asdl in the Netherlands. Does it actually
use PPPoE or a different protocol?

> I don't know anything about the netwerk card - it's only reported as
> ?nbord 10/100 mbit network card" - but it uses the modem I normally use
> so the only problem it can be is the netwerk card. I tried pppoe in
> knoppix but no luck
>
> I attached two output files, from lsmod output and dmesg output; And a
> logfile containing output from `ping localhost`, `ifconfig -a` , `ping
> 10.0.0.138`, and I attached the error from `pppoe`

The adsl "modem" could be a router with integrated dhcp server.
Try "pump -i eth0".

> eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.

This doesn't look like a adsl modem. The link should be 10mbps
half-duplex. At least this is what I see when I connect my dsl modem
(german telekom) to my machine.

> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
[...]
> 8139too                17160   1

Maybe the 8139 has an interrupt problem when APIC is turned on.
Try "knoppix noapic" at the Knoppix boot prompt.

You can also monitor outgoing/incoming network packets on the ethernet
card before starting pppoe or pump:
tcpdump -ni eth0

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                    chris AT linuxinfotag.de
Grunaer Str. 31                                    http://silmor.de/~chris/