Re: [debian-knoppix] /boot/initrd

Am Montag, 12. April 2004 07:15 schrieb Hans Baume:
> I've read a few earlier posts about this file but can't seem to find an
> answer to the question on how does one recreate it?

Uhm, what I do not know is:

- Do you mean the initrd that is created by the installation script?

or

- Do you mean the initrd that is used by the CD-ROM ?

> It seems as though I, as well as a few others, would like to know how
> the /boot/initrd file created for the knoppix kernels.  It appears as
> though it's not through using the 'mkinitrd' command.

Hm, from knoppix-installer (the new script) 0.3-6, which will be on next
public download edition, I am using mkinitrd with mkext2fs ...

> /boot/initrd looks like a small ext2 image that can be mounted as
> loopback that basically contains device files and kernel modules for
> hardware detected during the knx-hdinstall process.

Uhm, yes.

> I would like to create one custom kernel that I can use across all of my
> machines and build the network interface and SCSI controller drivers in
> as modules.  The "knoppix way" of determining what devices exist and
> dynamically creating /boot/initrd seems to be an ideal way to achieve
> this.

Look into /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall or on this list for a post (by me) of a
function to do that.

But I would propose to use mkinitrd and have a kernel, which has cramfs and
used filesystems build in.

Then the debian-way also works :-).

And you have the advantage that you can bug the debian-maintainer if something
is not working right.

cu

Fabian