Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: MD5 vs. DES (+knoppix-installer)

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 19:13, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. Februar 2004 18:02 schrieben Sie:
> > Fabian Franz wrote:
> > > My script is called knoppix-installer, and you probably haven't heard of
> > > tab completion, yet ?
> >
> > Vaguely. Is that a program? :-)
> > Have you heard of: "Even smart, experienced, advanced users will
> > appreciate things that you do to make it easy for the distracted,
> > inexperienced, beginner users."
>
> The inexperienced beginner user will want a name that is easy to remember and
> in no way cryptic as far as I know ...
>
> What do you want to achieve ? (install knoppix to hd)
>
> What do you search for ? (installer, or even knoppix-installer ...)
>
> What do you think when you here k2hd ? (hey nice 4 chars, but what do they
> tell me ?)

Exactly.  I *hate* that un*x "shortcut" obfuscation.  We are no longer
in the days of teletyping.  Whimps^H^H^H^H^H^HModern users use mouses to
clickstart applications from menus without typing at all and even old
farts have X running even if it is only for having an unlimited number
of xterms (or that gnome-teminal thingy) on screen.  And using a bash or
another shell with --hold your breath-- tab completion --whew-- is not
whimpy but plain pragmatic.

SCNR, Thomas.

--
Thomas Maier <Thomas.Maier@uni-kassel.de>