Re: [debian-knoppix] H E L P ! ! ! !

There is nothing worse than someone intermittently yelling, very annoying! ;)

<quote>

I am not familiar at all with linux, unix or any other linus
flavor. I am slowly figuring out that Linux needs 3 partitions....but
after years of working with DOS I find this scheme very confusing.
</quote>

Linux has a minimum of three partitions because it is easier to have the kernel in one partition, swap in another, and then all your software and files in the last. Unlike Windows, where everything is put into one big partition, so that when one file goes, your computer becomes useless. You can also add other partitions such as: /usr, /home, /var, /usr/local, etc..., which can eliminate many problems if corruption does occur.
<quote>

I don't want to fall back
as a Microsoft prisoner.....Some of the responses and explanations in
the forum are too confusing....I don't understand a lot of it, but If I
could get the system up and running I could start to learn it. bob
</quote>

Don't go! You will find that Linux is far superior to MS Windows. Grant it, there is a time and a place for either, but I am finding out that Linux has covered 90% of the ground needed to take over Windows.
I am not sure about your locking problem, but rest assured, the people on this list are great, and you will find the help you need.

Nick