Re: [debian-knoppix] Internet Help

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:57:48 -0500
Matthew J Smith <Gumby@ViragoTech.com> wrote:

> OK I have everything set up and have no problem login in to my ISP
> [AT&T dial up] but once I get logged on I cant get any websites to
> work. i keep getting can not resolve errors.

By any chance, did you set up a firewall? If not configured properly, a
firewall can wind up blocking everything. I'd disable the firewall first
before trying anything else. Actually, you should have a firewall, but I
don't think Knoppix installs one by default - I personally use Guarddog,
and after you get your web connection working properly I'd recommend you
install it.

If you don't have a firewall, then it's probably like what Achim said -
you need to configure /etc/resolv.conf. Normally, this is done
automatically for you by kppp setup - click on the "DNS" tab and type in
the DNS addresses (nameservers) which you must get from your ISP.
Usually there are two addresses, though only one is required but the
second one is an alternate and it's good to have both.

I did a Google search, and came up with two nameservers for ATT
Worldnet:

nameserver 204.127.129.1
nameserver 204.127.129.2

Actually, you may not even need this - just having an empty file called
/etc/resolv.conf will often work, so check to make sure you've got it.
If you don't, you can create it like this (you must be root):

  touch /etc/resolv.conf
  chown root:dip /etc/resolv.conf

That really should be all you need to do.

regards,
Robert