Help PLEAS, laptop powers down while installing

I'm trying to use the 3.7 CD (2 different copies) to do an install on a
Compaq N410c.

The install starts OK, but at about 78% of files copied, the machine powers
down!. I've corrupted my already working Debian install by doing this, and
need to get something working!

I even tried the noacpi boot time option.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It's reliable, it's happened about 5
times in a row, Yes the machine has the power cord plunged in :-)

Any suggestions for a frustrated person?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin