printing across the network

Conrad Newton wrote:

From Chris Aitken on Wednesday, 2004-12-08 at 22:27:43 -0500:
I want to print from my backup PC to the printer attached to my production PC.

The backup PC is running rh 8.0. The prod PC runs knoppix 3.3.

Does the backup PC run CUPS as its printing software?
Hmmm. Maybe not. I ran 'cupsd' as root and got a file not found or somesuch.

If so, the print queues on the production server should
already be visible from the backup PC.

If so, the main issue is that your production server
needs to give permission to the backup PC to print.
You do this by including the following lines in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

<Location />
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From <IP of backup PC>
</Location>
OK. I did that.

All of these lines should be there already except for

  Allow From <IP of backup PC>

where you need to replace <IP of backup PC> with your values.
Done.

Chris

Conrad