wvdial instead of kppp for modem dialer?

This summer I tried to connect to the internet
via Knoppix and a modem, and modem-dialer---
based on Kppp---failed to make the connection.

In the end, I connected with the help of wvdial,
and it occured to me---why are we using Kppp at all?

The disadvantages of Kppp are two:

1)  It works less well. (do others agree?)

2)  It is a heavier piece of software.
    If you are using icewm or xfce,
    you do not want to activate the whole
    kde apparatus just to use your modem.

The only advantage that I can see is that
Kppp has an installed database of telephone
numbers for various European ISPs.  But if
the program does not work, it is not much help!

Kppp has one other advantage, a dialog to
help you set up the connection, but surely
it cannot be that hard to write a small script
that will do the same thing for wvdial?

I would be curious to know what others
think of this proposal.

Conrad