Re: [debian-knoppix] Guess what I saw boot on a CD

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:56:01AM -0500, Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey KNOPPIX Group;
>
> I think MS is trying to use a KNOPPIX type bootable XP.  A MS Guy has
> made a bootable CD.  Take a look via a search engine "pe_builder".  It
> is a bootable XP version with repair tools.

Actually, to my understanding, it copies a small version of ONE SPECIFIC
Windows installation to CD-R, and this version will only run on that specific
PC, otherwise it would violates the MS Eula anyways. It is more bootable rescue
system for one single installation than a self-configuring system.

It is surely not impossible to create a self-configuring bootable Windows-CD,
but the Windows license simply does not allow it (changing the software, or
even distributing it).

> Klaus - Check behind you MS is lurking.

I don't think so. :-)

With kind regards