Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix in 8meg ram

Hallo DLP,

> > Will Knoppix work in 8meg ram with a large swap file?
> >
> In theory it should work, but I have never tested that, because I do
> not think I will become old enough to see the results;-)
>
> BTW, I guess you are running an old 486? If you do not need a gui you
> should look for tomsrtbt, which fits on a floppy.
>
> There are several mini knoppix's around with applications that might
> run on small systems, but you should have at least 32 MB Ram and a
> Pentium 100 ++ if you want make use of X11, even if you are just
> running the system as X11-Terminal.
>
> Please keep in mind that autodetection will be poor on old (ISA)
> systems!
>
> Greetings
>
> Achim
>
> The unit is actually a Pentium 133 with 8meg ram  1.2gig HD. IBM
> Thinkpad. The problem is that after asking my question I found that it
> won't boot from the CD drive. Oh well.

If you want to install it on HD, I would recommend using DELI 0.6 or
mulinux (don't know the URL in the moment, you have to google). They
both boots from floppy, but the SW can be installed from CD. mulinux is
even smaller. But 8 Megs of ram is not very much.

I am using a compaq p133 (80MB RAM) for sending this eMails with
sylpheed, which is ok. All programs are started after booting, because
the launch would take too long, but if they are running, it is very
comfortable with the instant off button.

Greetings

Achim

--
I n g e n i e u r b ü r o   H A U