[debian-knoppix] Accessing the internet with Knoppix 3.3

I could not get KPPP or WvDial to use the internal modem of my Compaq 2100US laptop.  I found a old US-Robotics 14.4 modem (and its power supply) in my odds and ends box.  This is a Hayes command compatable modem.  I also found what we used to call a AT modem cable.  Booted Knoppix 3.3.  WvDial found the modem right away, and was able to dial it out, but there was some kind of error trying to connect to the ATT Worldnet network, and kept hanging up and re-dialing.

I then tried KPPP.  After getting it setup, it too could dial the modem out, and it looked like KPPP might be able to connect me to ATT Worldnet, but then it would get an error about not finding device ppp0 and would stop.  The only thing I can think of is the Authentication is not set right.  According to the instructions I found on the internet, I set this to PAP, which is not what was there originally.  Should ppp0 be something on my end, or the ISP end?  I could not locate a ppp or ppp0 on the Knoppix CD.  Thanks.