Re: [debian-knoppix] XP won't boot after knoppix 3.4 hdinstall

At 04:49 AM 5/21/04, Joris Huizer wrote:
> I guess we'll buy another harddisk for linux as *windows can't deal with
> partitions* - thanks to windows we're forced to buy more hardware again...

Speaking of forced to buy more hardware, I had to
buy more RAM to run Linux, and I had to buy a new
sound card for Linux, and I had to buy a new modem
for Linux. I'm told I have to buy a new hard drive
since Linux can't read some Western Digital drives,
including the one I use to boot my computer. I'm
told that I need a new scanner since Linux can't
find mine (Microtek on the parallel port), and I'm
told I need a new digital camera since Linux can't
read mine (Micro Innovations). That said, I had no
problem with XP after a Knoppix HD install, maybe
because Knoppix can't read from or write to my boot
hard drive. I use a Windows-based boot loader, since
lilo and grub have problems when written to the MBR,
that is, when they can be written to the MBR. Linux
just isn't ready for the home desktop, but it's getting
closer every day. Linux is still years behind Windows
for average home users.

Dick
*quad boot Win98, XP, Knoppix-Debian, Mandrake 10
*first saw Linux January 2004