[debian-knoppix] Wireless USB devices in Knoppix 3.4

Knoppix 3.4 is great.  I was happy to see that when I plugged my Linksys
wusb12 device it was detected and the prism2_usb driver was loaded. The
device was designated as wlan0.  The problem that I am having is that the
config file for wlan devices is /etc/wlan/wlan.conf, but on Knoppix this
is just a symlink to /KNOPPIX/etc/wlan/wlan.conf which is read only. The
config file for wireless pcmcia cards (wireless.opts) is not a symlink
but a writable file in /etc/pcmcia/.  In order to make wireless usb
devices usable from the cd shouldn't the actual wlan.conf file be placed
in /etc/wlan so that it is writable?  Without making this change I'm not
sure how to designate the essid for my wireless router or how to add a
wep key for wireless usb adapters when running Knoppix from the cd.

If the above mentioned change was made, perhaps it might also be possible
to get wlancardconfig to see wlan devices and offer options for setting
the essid and wep key.  Right now my wireless usb adapter shows up in
netcardconfig as wlan0 but it's absent when I run wlcardconfig.  If
that's not possible, I'd settle for simply being able to edit wlan.conf
if if could be moved to /etc/wlan.

Thanks for all the great stuff in Knoppix.

Adam York