[debian-knoppix] nvidia and kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7

Hi.
I'm using kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7 on a Knoppix-3.3 hd-install. I'd like to install the nvidia drivers but there aren't binary packages available yet. So, I think I will have to build it myself. Will I have to build my custom kernel to build nvidia driver as kernel module? http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html points to a guide that suggests just this. Please advice. Tnx.