Re: [debian-knoppix] Upgrading to 2.6

I do not know anything about Mepis.

Knoppix and I presume Mepis are Debian based. You can use the KPackage
application or use a console and apt-get. Update first so you have the most
recent information.

FInd a kernel-image that fits your computer and configuration.

Install it. It will give you some heavy warnings about initrd and such and ask
you if you want to continue.

Therefore, before starting all this,make sure that
your /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and ./modules files have what is needed
there to mount you root filesystem. Ext3 requires modules ext3 and jbd, for
example. In mkinitrd.conf, best not use ROOT=probe but something like this:
ROOT="/dev/hdb1 ext3" (My root FS is on hdb1, is ext3). Quotes are necessary.

If you choose to continue (you can always try again later), the image files
and modules will be copies to your system and the install script will offer
to redo you lilo stuff. I have found it best NOT to do any of this here.
Others may disagree.

Go to /etc/lilo.conf. Make sure that image choices for your old kernel and the
new one and its initrd are there. Now, run lilo. ALWAYS run lilo after do any
of this stuff.

Say a little prayer :-) and reboot.

If it don't work, your old kernel or the Knoppix/Mepis CD are there so you can
try fixing it.