[debian-knoppix] Don't feed the Monday morning troll (was: MD5 vs. DES (+knoppix-installer))

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 22:56, R. Dale Thomas wrote:
> Thomas Maier wrote:
>

> > Exactly.  I *hate* that un*x "shortcut" obfuscation.  We are no longer
> > in the days of teletyping.  Whimps^H^H^H^H^H^HModern users use mouses to
> > clickstart applications from menus without typing at all and even old
> > farts have X running even if it is only for having an unlimited number
> > of xterms (or that gnome-teminal thingy) on screen.  And using a bash or
> > another shell with --hold your breath-- tab completion --whew-- is not
> > whimpy but plain pragmatic.
> >
> > SCNR, Thomas.
> >

> 	Yes, but I'd still _much_ rather type 'ls -A' than :
> 		'list_all_the_files_in_this_directory', wouldn't you?

Ok, it's Monday morning and I'll bite :). *I*'d rather type 'ls --al'
and press tab and let my shell complete that to 'ls --almost-all' (note
the nitpickery 'almost'). That would be
list_almost_all_the_files_in_this_directory. Of course I'd only do that
if I hadn't aliased 'ls -A' to la. And of course I agree that as long as
we don't have tab completion for options (I am not talking about
manually setting up programmable completion) on GNU/Linux, it is fine to
have both long and short options. But that is not cluttering my path
with obscure so called shortcuts. SCNR, again, Thomas.

--
Thomas Maier <Thomas.Maier@uni-kassel.de>