Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: MD5 vs. DES (+knoppix-installer)

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 03:54 schrieb plasticdoc:
> Fabian Franz wrote:
> > The name will not be changed, but feel free to send a patch for the
> > debian package to add a symlink to k2hd ... ;-)
>
> 1. That's being pragmatic... knx2hd or k2hd... any of them would help my
> work on the HOWTO dual install Knoppix and Windows in the same HD.

Well, I really don't understand, but I added a symlink to my internal tree ...

:-)

But I think this will first occur in Knoppix 3.4 after Cebit Edition ...

> 2. As for the MD5 being broken, you can read the scientific paper
> (format: postscript) from: http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/bsy/dobbertin.ps
>
> You may also find an interesting digest about hashing algorithms at:
> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/crypto/scan/md.html
>
> And also why HAVAL may be better (there are many more sources):
> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/11548.html
>
> *If you don't have the time, or the will, just download the short,
> although very complete, presentation that may found at:
> URL http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/msc/teaching/opt8/2001-02/hashs.pdf
>
> In the end I am sure that you will agree that the idea of a strong MD5
> as been greatly exaggerated. It seems that HAVAL is, for now, a better
> tool and it also comes from the MD tree of hashing algorithms.

Well, I will read some of them, although I'm really short of time :-/

Thank you very much.

The next problem is that I cannot change to haval, without debian having
changed before to haval. So its not in my hands... But I'll think of
supporting at least md5 ... (It was not so easy as I thought, as htpasswd
seems not to be compatible ... :-/ )

> 3. About the non-id email, it is a rudimentary form of spam control. A
> determined user will find the email easily.

Well, then I'm no determined user. You must see that I'm from Germany and
don't know the american email providers too well, but ok, thats my
problem ...

I know that spamcontrol is important :-/

cu

Fabian

PS: No offence meant.