Re: [debian-knoppix] [Announce:] klik

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 05:02, probono wrote:

> > If you can get Quanta Plus to work, it will help
> > with windows users who are interested in looking
> > at linux, but an html editor is holding them back
> > (and Quanta is much more than an html editor).
>
> The Quanta "Bleeding Edge" WYSIWYG mode needs KDE 3.2 which is not yet in
> Knoppix. In the meantime, we could try to make the old Quanta work. I am
> optimistic since Kommander (a part of Quanta) already can be installed with
> klik.
>
> > (a frontpage or dreamweaver equivalent)
>
> well... Dreamweaver runs on Knoppix... using CrossOver Office..
>
> > And thanks for your efforts.  They are appreciated.
>
> You're welcome. :)
>
> probono

Well, what is "old" Quanta (or "stable") should still be the 3.1.x release, as
I believe they are still providing bug fixes for it.  According to Debian
weekly news, kde 3.1.5 is now in unstable.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0401/msg01629.html

 Quanta follows the kde releases for their stable version I believe, so there
may be a Quanta 3.1.5 currently or in the works.  I'm hoping this effort
comes out correct the first time (also see bottom for more info on packages
you may wish to make a priority), so...to quote the developers:

> quanta_be branch:
> 1. This is dead. Don't use it. Might be ressurrected before KDE 3.3/4.0
> comes out, but that won't be tommorrow.

Here's the full post:

Subject: [Quanta] Quanta branches
Date: Sunday 18 January 2004 21:39
From: Andras Mantia <----@kde.org>
To: -----@kde.org
Cc: Quanta users list <quanta@mail.kde.org>

Hi,

 As I said today some important changes happened in the Quanta CVS. This
mainly means that a new branch for KDE (and Quanta) 3.2 was created and the
BE branch was merged to HEAD. So from now on if I refer to HEAD, it means
also BE. If I refer to 3.2, it means the 3.2 branch. A little more detailed
explanation:

HEAD branch (which you get if you cvs checkout without extra tag parameters):
1. Contains Quanta Bleeding Edge (BE)
2. Will be the upcoming Quanta 3.3
3. The version string is something like "3.3 Bleeding Edge (a date here)"
4. The executable is called "quanta_be" and installs the data and
configuration files independently of the stable release (to quanta_be and
quantaberc).
5. KDE 3.1.x compatibility should be kept until we can safely assume
 everybody upgraded to KDE 3.2. This may happen around the time KDE
 3.2.1/3.2.2 comes out. Developers, keep this in your mind while coding.

KDE_3_2_BRANCH (if you use the "-r KDE_3_2_BRANCH" parameter for cvs):
1. Contains Quanta 3.2 and the upcoming 3.2.x bugfix only versions
2. The executable is "quanta" just as before.
3. Must be compatible with KDE 3.1.x.

Users who want to get the greatest and latest (feature and bugwise) should
 use HEAD. Users wanting to use the "stable" release should either use the
 official KDE release tarballs or get it from CVS using the KDE_3_2_BRANCH.
 The latter method means that you may get additional bugfixes.

quanta_be branch:
1. This is dead. Don't use it. Might be ressurrected before KDE 3.3/4.0 comes
out, but that won't be tommorrow.

Everybody please update your local copy. The simplest way is to make a copy
 of your HEAD checkout and:
- - update one of the copies to KDE_3_2_BRANCH (cvs up -r KDE_3_2_BRANCH or
 use Cervisia, Advanced->Update to Tag/Date->Update to branch KDE_3_2_BRANCH)
 - - update the other copy simply (cvs up or File->Update in Cervisia).

Hope I was clear and everything compiles fine with HEAD.

Andras

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And a follow up clarification:

Subject: Re: [Quanta] Quanta branches
Date: Saturday 24 January 2004 10:00
From: Andras Mantia <----@virtualartisans.com>
To: ----@Explosivo.com, Quanta users list <quanta@mail.kde.org>

On Saturday 24 January 2004 10:26, Bill Chmura wrote:
> So just so I understand this...
>
> there is no more (for our purposes) a quanta_be module.  The latest
> greatest is available to be checked out as the module quanta, and if you
> want the stable release source then its a branch off of that.
>
> right?
>
> :)

Right. ;-) The quanta_be branch is dead.

probono,

the following links from debian weekly news may help in your decisions
on which applications to prioritize:

> New Popularity Contest. Bill Allombert [32]announced
> [33]popcon.debian.org that contains package usage statistics. If
> you want the survey to include information about the software
> used on your own machines, simply install the [34]popularity-contest
> package. Among other things, the results are used to decide
> which packages should go on the installer CD instead of on
> supplementary discs.

> 32. http://lists.debian.org/debian-www-0401/msg00266.html
> 33. http://popcon.debian.org/
> 34. http://packages.debian.org/popularity-contest

The stats provide some interesting insights into what packages people use. And
don't use.

Good luck with your efforts.

bing.