Re: [debian-knoppix] Changing resolutions

> From: Paul Howard <lists@phoward.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:49:43 -0000
>
> Bit of a linux and knoppix newbie here.
>
> I have knoppix installed using VMWARE and also on an old laptop. Both of
> them default to 1024*768 as the screen resolution. This is fine on the
> laptop but on the VMWARE one I want it to be using a higher resolution.
>
> I cannot for the life of me find out where to change it.
>
> Any ideas?

The name of the file is XF86Config.  I'm not entirely sure
about Knoppix, as I don't have it booted up at the moment,
but it often lives in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  The man page may
give other locations if it's not there.

Actually, you might try ALT, CTRL, and either keypad plus or
keypad minus.  That will cycle through any resolutions
already listed in XF86Config.

Oh, you might also look for XF86Config-4, in case Knoppix is
still using that variant.

Two places to get quicker answers to future questions are
groups.google.com and google.com/linux.  In the former, do
an advanced search of groups "*linux*" (don't enter the
quote marks).  Most of the early questions have already been
asked and answered (sometimes many times), and the archived
information is just waiting to be used.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net