Re: [debian-knoppix] get the sources

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:26:34PM +0100, Vincent Hermenier wrote:
> > But it is REALLY easier to download the sources of original Debian
> > packages from original Debian mirrors, and Knoppix-specific packages
> > from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/ .
> >
> > When burning the sources to CD, they don't really get any better. It
> > just takes longer for them to reach you. I just have to offer this
> > service because of the somewhat discriminating passage of the GPL that
> > for possible commercial software, stating a download location would be,
> > for whatever reason, NOT sufficient (the 3 years written statement
> > thing, you know).
>
> I do understand your point, however I would like to insist on the fact that
> the exact sources of the knoppix distributions should be available.
>
> I could obviously hunt around the internet to get the exact sources matching
> the exact versions included in the distribution, but as you can imagine this
> could take a awfully long (and wasted) time. In fact, the current versions
> are often newer than the ones included in the distribution (for example
> gimp_1.2.5-3 has been replaced by gimp_1.2.5-4).

Ok.

What I would really like to see in Debian is a source archive that
maintains all the different source versions. This would allow me to
generate source CDs later, instead of having to create and archive 4-5
source CDs for every release of Knoppix.

> I am therefore planning to send you CDs by snail mail (including a prepaid
> letter for the shipment back).
>
> As a consequence, I would be most grateful if you could tell me how many CDs
> are required to burn the KNOPPIX_v3.3-2003.11.19-EN

7 CDs should be sufficient. I usually keep multiple versions of the
sources for a while, so you may find that the sources will actually
match a few releases before and after the current one that you wanted
the sources for.