[debian-knoppix] Compare

Newbie question:

How can I compare two files to see the diffferences ( this is important to
compare configurations).

I.e. imagine I have in my compute var/log/XFree86.0.log  and
etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and my floppy floppy/XF86Config-4.

I wold like to have and command to easily compare etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files
and write the differences in new file (i.e floppy/XF86Config-4.dif ).

On screen viewing would be a good thing to  (seeing every document in a
columns, and the differences in a concrete color - i.e. in red - ).

Regards.