[debian-knoppix] That ALSA mess!

I harddisk installed from Knoppix3.3/Debian2.4.22.

It detected my audio card as a AGOPO/Maestro. It is not. The Maestro driver
was uncomplaining silent as to be expected.

Not knowing you already had alsa, I build 1.0ORC drivers and utilities (One of
the few configure;make;make install successes on this system!). I tried to
force it to load the driver called for on their site. It will not load
because the device is absent--still thinks its the AGOPO. Alsa
autoconfiguration identified their (another!!) Maestro oriented driver. This
also fails to load.

Note that any attempt to apt-get update alsa stuff goes part way and dies
because of stuff in knx-alsa. So...
1. How do I straighten all this out so I can install alsa using apt-get and
keep it up to date (until I have a smooth transition to 2.6*).

Now for the MIDI. Knoppix setup identified USB-Midi  that I have. I
blacklisted this hotplug item and configure the alsa for load:

a. usb-audio (covers both bases, apparently)

b. mpu401 for the MIDI sound generator card which has no "footprint" for the
system--sits on a port address. Yamaha did their w2k driver this way so I
tried it here too.

Not a note out of linux though the two cards are listed, seemingly correctly
in /proc.

Using a windows app that happens to work with WINE (one of the few), I was
able to play-to, control the Yamaha card using that mpu401 very nicely.
Attempts to set MIDI-in to the usb hung the program.

Folks at the linux-audio group have not been able to help me solve all this. I
do not intend to use the Linux for music production because equivalent
software is simply not available. However, I would like to at least be able
to listen under Linux. So...
2. How might I get this working?