Re: [debian-knoppix] DMA

On January 10, 2004 09:48 pm, Robert Storey wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I notice that when Knoppix is booting, one of the messages flashed to
> screen says:
>
>   Warning: The DMA process on your hard disk is turned off.
>   This may really slow down the fsck process.
>
> The strange thing is that dma is enabled on my machine. I can check
> it like this:
>
>   root@sonic:~# hdparm /dev/hda
>
>   /dev/hda:
>   multcount    = 16 (on)
>   IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>   unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>   using_dma    =  1 (on)
>   keepsettings =  0 (off)
>   readonly     =  0 (off)
>   readahead    =  8 (on)
>   geometry     = 4865/255/63, sectors = 78165360, start = 0
>
> Knoppix boots fast on my machine - in fact, it boots faster than most
> other Linux distros. Yet the other distros I've tried don't warn me
> that I have dma turned off. If there is something I can do to make
> Knoppix boot even faster, that would be really nice.
>
> I'm not sure this is a problem, but I'm curious why I see this
> message. Any ideas?
>
> best regards,
> Robert

Try this apt-get --reinstall install hdparm and after the package is
reinstalled edit the file /etc/hdparm.conf and assuming the drive is
hda uncomment the /dev/hda, dma = on and } lines in the example at the
bottom of the file if it is a different drive you will have to create a
new entry for it and next time you boot the DMA will be turned on when
it should be. Note do not forget to comment out the line at the bottom
of the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that is already used to turn the dma on.

What the section should look like:

## Uncommented by me for dma setting
/dev/hda {
#       mult_sect_io = 16